Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Another Rainy Day, Hooray!


If the sun was shining and the temperatures a bit warmer, I could have planted my new Dahlias yesterday, but I guess they will have to wait another day as it is raining. Again. Perhaps we are back to a more normal rain cycle, after several years of very dry weather. I found these at Gertens, and although I had planned to look not buy, I could not resist. Lovely!

Signed the paperwork for a new leather sofa and chair yesterday. Hate having one more financial commitment, and COULD have put it on my Visa, but decided to take advantage of the interest free financing at Slumberland. Hope to pay it off quickly, but you can never be sure what expenses are Right around the corner, and the brakes on my Minivan are not sounding quite like they should. Brakes and tires, oh my. . .

New furniture is not scheduled to arrive until next week, giving me a chance to do some cleaning (ugh) and hopefully get the old furniture picked up by then. Who wants an old sofa and love seat? Sofa is in pretty good shape, love seat is in excellent shape, primarily because we spend so little time in the living room, preferring to share the family room with the dogs. My gosh, but the dust behind the love seat was thick - when did I last move it out from the wall and clean? Years? Decades? And the radiator in the corner between the love seat and sofa. Oh my! Finally decided to let the dust settle last night and get back to the project tonight. That includes washing the drapes - and if they fall apart I will have to buy new drapes too. And of course lovely new furniture will make the area rug look even older than it is . . . But I have been looking for a new rug for a year, so now I will have another reason to find the right one!

Where does dust come from? Dog hair I understand, but there's a lot more in that gray fuzzy stuff than dog hair. A quick search on the Internet says,

. . . there are three main components of dust: first, dead skin cells, second, the dried feces and dessicated corpses of dust mites (oh lovely!), and the last component by volume is tiny fibers shed by clothing. Ugh!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Beautiful Dahlia. I fondly remember our Dal, stopping to look and smell one just after I planted it. Really miss her. How does the saying go? Stick aroundm the sun will come out tomorrow.......