Thursday, July 8, 2010

On Reaching Retirement Age . . .

Happy Birthday to me, and a significant one it is. Today I am 62 years old! How can that be? I don't FEEL 62 years old, at least not most of the time. Mostly I feel just the way I've always felt. Guess I'm lucky that way, but I work at it too. This was my first birthday since joining Facebook, and it's kind of cool having dozens of on-line "friends" wish you Happy Birthday. Seems like a nice connection.

When I was young I assumed that by the age of 62 I would be retired, or perhaps just playing at a "for fun" job, like working in a garden store during the busy season, or volunteering at Como Park. Of course I also assumed that I would still be married to David, and that his salary would make retirement possible. I also assumed that my stocks & bonds would be worth something, which is definitely not the case. How things change! David is retired now, but married to Judy who makes far more than he ever made, so his retirement will be comfortable. Do I resent that? Nope. I've been divorced for over 20 years and have no regrets.

I've also been working at my job for 30 years, which is pretty amazing as I started working for MNDOT as a temp 31 one years ago. Who ever guessed that I would still be there? At least for now, although the security of state jobs no longer exists. If MNDOT decides to offer the retirement buyout, with two years of paid health coverage, I won't be one of those who decides to go. I'm TOO YOUNG to retire, still enjoy me job, get high on the stress, and know that the challenges are good for my brain. Although my assorted hobbies would keep me busy, retirement now would not leave me with enough money to pursue them, so there's really no point in considering it. Living in an apartment with a cat and a canary, and relying on public transportation, doesn't sound like a good match!

3 comments:

Kathleen M. said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you did (or are planning on doing) something fun for yourself!!

Denise said...

Have a very Happy Birthday Sue! And MANY MANY more!!
From Denise and Ch Laser

Jennifer Mathews said...

Happy Birthday!! I actually turned 63 June 5th and I feel 25, well most of the time, haha..
Sounds like you have enough energy for 3 people, keep it up! I know your dogs really appreciate all you do for them, and I know along with many others really appreciate your blog and all your helpful information on these wonderful dogs that we love so much. I hope you have a delicious piece of birthday cake or whatever you like!! Jen from Chatt