Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Black Or Liver?

Black Lucy & Liver Penny are half-sisters

Puppies this summer.  Reebok is due in July, Penny in early August.  Thank goodness my daughter Jess will be raising Penny's pups.  I once did two litters three days apart and survived, but I was younger then, and Jess still lived at home.  Both litters were mostly liver boys!  Oh my!

Reebok could be liver factored and produce liver pups bred to Argus, but I'm betting she isn't.  There is a DNA test available to test for color (it would also tell me whether or not she might be carrying lemon) but we'll know soon enough about the livers, and lemon is not very common in the breed and not likely to show up in this pedigree.

Liver Penny was bred to liver-factored Cruise.  Because his mother was a liver, we knew Cruise would do both colors when we bred Josie to him 5 (6?) years ago.  Penny has two liver parents, Argus & Nikon.  Nikon also has two liver parents Ed & Coral.

There was a time when liver Dals were relatively uncommon, except at MY house as I have always had at least a couple of liver Dals.  We had lots of livers in the local show rings because the breeders here started with dogs from me - generally livers.  Now livers are very popular in the show ring, and liver companions are quite common in most parts of the country.  I've always had plenty of reservations for liver pups, and never have a problem placing them.   So many people have come to be interviewed certain that they wanted a black female, and ended up with a liver male and been very happy about it.

Brownies are beautiful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,
I have come to agree with you that Brownie boys are wonderful! I have a black female and liver female they are both wonderful dogs. There is just something special with the boys.

Hosw is Josie's foot?

Anonymous said...

I used to ONLY want black dalmatians... the livers were just so weird! But then Doc's litter was born and we wanted a male and all three males were liver! We ended up with one and now I wouldn't trade him for a black at all! The liver REALLY grows on you! I've also had people say they didn't know they came in liver and before we left with Doc, they told me they like the liver better than the black. We will always have one black in our family, but we will always welcome livers now. :)