Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Audrey & Me


Ron took this picture of Audrey & me yesterday noon. As she continues to grow, I worry that high winds may take her down. She's tied up, attached to the fence behind her, so if she goes, so does the fence. I suspect that Cup Plants on the tall grass prairies were not quite as prosperous looking as she is! They grow 8 to 10 feet tall, but Audrey is somewhat taller than that already. Maybe I will figure out a way to measure her this weekend. Because she is in a raised bed she looks a foot taller than she actually is, and unfortunately that probably keeps her from sending out all the roots she needs for support.

3.5 inches of rain last night, unfortunately some of it in my basement. Went to bed at 10:00 and got up at 11:00 to check. Good thing I did as I had some mopping to do. One corner of my basement, between the new and old foundations, is prone to leaking when we get really heavy rainfall. That was one good thing about the droughty summers - no rain in the basement!

Project for the week - water changes in all 48 tanks as things will be busy here soon, with the trip to Colorado, the local Specialty weekend, and company. Want to get all the tanks done so that all I will have to worry about is the tanks with fish I am trying to get to spawn. Also need to free up a bigger tank for the Flexipenis vittatus - the three little guys are growing well and deserve to move up from a 2.5 gallon tank to at least a 5 gallon. The two 2.5s are handy for really small fish, but not nearly large enough for them to develop properly.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Audrey is definately something to behold! I love watching her grow.