Monday, August 9, 2010

Who Stole My Weekend?


OK, where did it go? Seems like it was just Friday, and suddenly another work week is looming. Such a fun weekend, but it went way too fast!

I was entered at the Canadian National but just couldn't bring myself to go. I feel badly that I did not support the club this year when it was "only" 8 hours away, and I even entered and sent a trophy donation, but just couldn't do it. Might have with a different breed judge, and more Americans on the panel, but most Canadian judges leave me cold. I want to take Argus back up and try for a Canadian Best In Show to go with our AKC, UKC & CACIB Bests, but it won't be to show to Canadians. I was pleased that Argus's Canadian son "Porter" won several Bests Of Breed & Group placements, and his daughter "Lucy" went Best Of Opposite at several of the shows. We were well represented.

What we did instead this weekend was family things, and had such fun! My brother has been here for his yearly visit from Costa Rica and stays with my mother, rents a car and visits old friends. The whole family got together on Tuesday which was great fun. On Saturday we had a picnic at my house, despite the awful weather - 95 & very humid. Ick! Al loves to cook and my mother had raved about the fish tacos she'd had when she visited in CR, so Al and I teamed up and did fish tacos with all the trimming, wonderful fresh salsa, Mexican rice (great new recipe) and Negra Modelo - had never had that before, but very good. Everything turned out well and we had such a nice time. Later I took mom home, and Al spent the night as I live close to the airport. Got up at 4:15 to take him there. It's always sad when he goes home, and we all shed a few tears. Al & my mother have always been particularly close, and they always wonder if it will be the last time they get together . . .

My daughter turned 38 yesterday - how can that be? Seems she was just a baby, then a Junior handler, then a working girl, and now? She came in on Sunday morning and we went out to brunch at the wonderful Caribbean restaurant that is only a few miles from here. We've had excellent dinners there, and the brunch was even better. It's never very crowded, despite awesome food, good service and reasonable prices. Hopefully they will make. We've seen so many fine restaurants come and go over the years, but this one seems to have everything it needs to survive. Hope so.

No comments: