Thursday, September 2, 2010

Money Week

With all the people scheduled retired from our office, the office chit chat often centers around money issues. Perhaps because I work with money all day, I put very little thought into my own finances, particularly my investments. Decided that THIS was the week to get a handle on everything and discuss my finances with the appropriate advisers. I hope to be able to work at least 4 more years, so there is still time to make the necessary changes. Fortunately I belong to a wonderful Credit Union and have access to excellent financial advisers, free of charge. This was also the week that representatives from our Deferred Comp (retirement plan) were available for appointments. Took advantage of both.

Although I don't have a lot of investments, it's a useful amount and I am tired of looking at my stocks continue to lose money. The mutual funds have done quite well over the years so I wanted to hang on to them. Switched the mutual funds account to the Credit Union (from a large banking giant) and liquidated the stock account. Am tired of waiting for Medtronics and Merck to become winners! The money from the stock account will pay off my Visa (my only charge card - yay, no charge card interest anymore), and buy another CD or more mutual funds. I am officially out of the stock market - hooray!

I decided to reallocate my Deferred Comp account, and moved everything to the state Fixed Fund that currently pays 4.3%. Isn't it amazing that THAT is a great return right now? The money comes out before taxes and is taxed when withdrawn, in contrast to the IRAs where the money is not taxed if withdrawn at the appropriate time. Increased my Deferred Comp deduction as well, since I will have no interest costs on my Visa. Think I will go in and increase it further.

Today I will retrieve my savings bonds from my safe deposit box and decide what needs to be done with those. Haven't paid them any attention for years. Then all I need to do is keep my job!

Campaigning a dog is expensive, even with co-owners to help. Next year Argus will only be shown a specific shows, rather than being campaigned. He is the last dog I plan to campaign extensively. Yes, I said that after Morris in the 90s, but now age is also a consideration. Although I can still show a dog as well as the younger folks, that won't last forever! Campaigning is exhausting - the highs are so high, but the lows are very low indeed, and the travel is time consuming and sure wears out a car.

Argus and I will have to get involved in obedience competition to keep us BOTH from going crazy!

No comments: