Monday, September 13, 2010

We Did It!


Did what?

Lots of things. Survived an incredibly busy 5 days. Got Tess picked up,bred, and returned. Finished Charlie Brown. Had some fun. Had a very successful summer!

Last Wednesday I drove to Iowa to pick up Tess who was to be bred to Argus. Got her bred on Thursday and Friday, and also got Argus in for a Vet appointment on Thursday. Collected Charlie Brown and drove to Des Moines for shows on Friday evening (oh yeah, I worked all week too.) Argus was pulled while he mends, and Penny came along for the ride, so only Charlie was shown. I've been dying to go antiquing, so we hit two of my favorite antique stores on Saturday, after visiting one of my favorite fish stores. Had not been to the Majestic Lion for quite a few years, but it is still a fabulous store, full of real antiques, not just "collectible" junk. Also a few quaint things, like the metal animals Jess is pictured with above. The large pink pig and the flying pigs were pretty cool! I even found some not-antique spongeware items I could afford. Although I love spongeware bowls, I am not about to pay $125.00 to $175.00 (or more) and the one I found looks the part for $12.00. Found matching salt & pepper shakers. Nice!

Charlie showed well and went Best Of Winner both days to finish his championship. He became Argus's 10th champion, so Argus is now a Register of Merit sire, and his kids have finished with a large number of Specialty majors. Charlie finished under Mr. Patton who remembered him from our Specialty, and how silly he had been in the ring that day. Also remembered Penny and wondered why she was not entered at Des Moines, and remembered Argus too. Said there was something "off" when he stacked. (There sure was, but he seems to be mending nicely.) Am always impressed when judges remember dogs. Will try him again with Argus if the opportunity comes up.

Jess waited for a show picture and I went out to see a litter of pups, then we headed for home, stopping only to buy a round of cheeseburgers, courtesy of Ginger. Dogs all enjoyed their burgers, although they left the lettuce and onions (in Penny's case, in very small bits). We dropped Charlie off, partially unloaded the car, snapped a few pictures of Tess, and then I hit the road again. 240 miles home from Des Moines, then 190 each way to Waterloo where I met Tess's owner Paula. Had a MOST interesting trip home from Waterloo, dodging giant farm equipment on two-lane roads in the dark. NOT fun.

No comments: