Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Did I Miss Yesterday?

This gate has seen better days!

Oops, don't recall this I posted yesterday.  What was I thinking?  Hey, I'm fine, just ran out of time!

Mariah is doing well and his really settled in as a member of the family.  House training is almost 100% now, probably because WE are trained and get her out regularly and keep a close eye on her when she's loose.  We also keep her confined to just the family room and kitchen - that's one of the secrets to house training.  By limiting the pup's access to other parts of the house it is MUCH easier to keep an eye out for signs of an impending accident or mischief.  Because Ron spends much of his time in the family room, and my computer is just on the other side of the gate, it's a lot easier for us to keep an eye on young dogs.  If dogs are raised with limited house privileges, they are perfectly content.  Accidents still happen and damage still gets done, but at least it's confined to just a few rooms and it's part of raising a puppy.

When Ron asked what I wanted for Christmas, I told him what I really wanted was a new Elongate.  I have one of these sturdy metal adjustable gates spanning the five foot doorway between the family room and dining room and it's done a great job.  But it's getting pretty tatty looking!  The plastic coating is just a bit too tempting for young dogs, and over the years several of done a fair amount of damage.  When "someone" was not paying attention, I might add!  The gate is still sturdy, but it does look pretty battered.  Ron's response was that he could paint it.  Yeah, right.  Someone else suggested white duct tape.  Ron would like that idea too.  But, I think Santa is bringing me a new one.  Yay!

No comments: