Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Eyes Have It

Rough life!

Wish I had a better digital camera with a different flash.  Am so tired of the eye reflections on the liver Dals.  The supposed "red eye corrections" on my software and as a camera setting are totally useless.  Hard to justify the expense though, just for taking "fun" pictures.  I DO need to get a good sitting shot of Argus with a couple of his rosettes, and Ginger is going to have a clock made from it, but I'll probably have to schedule a sitting somewhere for that, now that Ron no longer takes pictures with his good cameras.  Hmmmm, maybe I can take pictures with those cameras - but do I want to fool around with a film camera?  Do they even make film?  Haven't used it in many years.

Will be glad when Eddie leaves this weekend and I have a chance to start working with Mariah more.  She really needs the attention (and training).  Eddie is a great little guy, but the puppy yapping when he and Mariah are playing is getting on my nerves.  She teases him and he yaps back.  I like my dogs quiet, especially before I have had my quota of morning coffee!

CERF exams scheduled for a week from Saturday.  Handy to have a clinic in the neighborhood two Saturdays a month.  I get Argus rechecked once a year, Josie is due for a recheck, and Mariah needs her first eye exam.  We got the Dal folks started on doing eye exams, but most of them did just one exam but never did a follow up.  Eye problems can develop at any age, so one exam really is not sufficient.  Also, eye exams can provide information about other health issues.  Because one of my former Vets did a very careful eye exam on Josie, he noticed something suspicious and suggested that I do a recheck with a Veterinary Ophthalmologist.  Josie's eyes had been done at 2 years  but by the age of 4 there were some changes.  The Veterinary Ophthalmologist followed up on what he was seeing, suggested that we have Josie's Vitamin E level checked, and we eventually found out that she had a problem with Vitamin E metabolism.  A very obscure problem, but easily treatable.  Josie was put on an inexpensive daily supplement and was spayed, just in case this was a hereditary problem - which it does not seem to have been.  There could have been serious consequences for this untreated problem, but Josie's done well and I just want to see what the VO thinks now.

No comments: