Saturday, July 9, 2011

Preparations

State Government Shut Down, Day Whatever . . .
Another busy, fun-filled day yesterday, also my birthday.  How can I be 63?  That used to be old!  Why don't I feel old?  It seems as if the 60s is now the New Middle-Aged.  (At least I hope so.)  Friends who are my age certainly don't seem old, although I have to admit we don't actually look young anymore, but we sure don't act old.  I remember a few years ago discovering that the mother of a friend as actually younger than I was, but I had always assumed she was an old lady, because she acted like an old lady.  That's NOT for me.

Argus catches a fish
Laurie and I took Argus and Nikon down to Hidden Falls Park for a hike and a swim yesterday morning.  It was already warm, and the dogs enjoyed splashing in the river.  Because the water is still very high, there is no exposed beach where the water gradually gets deeper, which would be more fun or the dogs but they both had an excellent time. 

Argus found a fish floating along the edge, carefully picked it up by a fin and brought it to shore where he studied it for signs of life.  Perhaps he thought we should take it home and give it tank space.  He enjoys watching my aquarium fish, and treated this one the same way he treated the Ctenopoma who jumped out of his tank.  Argus found him under the edge of the fish rack, whined softly, pulled the fish out with his foot, and studied him carefully.

In the afternoon we all went to Slumberland to pick out furniture for the family room.  My birthday gift, although Ron & the dogs will get the most use out of it.  Decisions, decisions.  Did I want the upholstered sofa & loveseat or another leather sofa?  Finally decided on the latter, easier on Ron who was stressing out over the need to get rid of one of the chairs in addition to the old loveseat.  He hates to part with anything and is convinced that the Salvation Army will come for the old loveseat because someone will want it.  Yep, his bedraggled, hairy, broken down beloved piece of wornout furniture. I reminded him how hard it was to get rid of the last furniture we replaced, and it was in much better condition.

Dinner with Ron, Laurie, Jess and my mother, then on to mom's for Rhubarb Pie.  I can honestly say it was just about the best pie I have ever eaten - or was it just because it was shared with family & friends . . .  Over 200 birthday greetings from Facebook Friends too.  That's fun, and such a hoot. I really enjoy that part of Facebook.

Worked on the whelping box in the afternoon, as Reebok will be needing it soon.  It's called the Reebox!  42 x 36 inches and triple-walled corrugated cardboard.  Love these big boxes and they can be recycled rather than stored.  I'll add "pig rails" tonight, bumpers along the walls so pups don't get caught between mom & the sides of the box.  I don't normally use them, but because Reebok is so large and ungainly now, it's worth the extra effort.

Reebok with her "puppy"
The puppies must have started shifting around yesterday evening as Reebok was very restless.  She couldn't decide where she wanted to lay, then finally decided that perhaps she would dig a nest on the loveseat next to Ron.  Because the whelping box wasn't quite ready yet I couldn't put there, so moved her to the big crate in the basement and gave her some blankets for nesting.  That was exactly what she wanted.  I had to put a leash on her to get her out this morning, and on the way in she discovered the pink toy that she has been keeping in her crate.  Her puppy!  It went back downstairs with her, where she is carefully washing it and encouraging it nurse.  Her practice pup!

I'll take her temperature this morning before we leave for Jess & Don's. Assuming it's still above 100 degrees, things will go on as usual.  She's really not due before Monday, but . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Reebox"LOL!!! Kara S.