Monday, July 4, 2011

Whelping Boxes & Nature Hikes


State Government Shut Down Day 4 - Lay Off Day 4
No work related dreams last night.  I must be adjusting to being laid off, although we'll see what happens tomorrow when I should be going back to work!  Instead, my dreams included puppies.  Two litters of puppies, born the same day and raised in adjoining bedrooms in my upstairs.  One litter was Bambi's and the other was Tasia's, and there were all kinds of problems keeping the mamas and the babies separated.   At least in my dreams.  This never actually happened, and Bambi and Tasia have been gone for many years, but it sure seemed real!

Poor Reebok . . .
Poor Reebok is looking a little uncomfortable with only a week to go, but she's in good spirits and still enjoys her evening walk, although she's puffing pretty good by the time we get back.  She even plays with Argus, but in very short spurts.  Trying to decide if I will use the large carton we got at the super market, a triple-walled corrugated box that originally held water melons.  It's just the perfect size, but I hate using old boxes if I can avoid it.  It will hurt Ron's feelings if I don't use this one (he found it) but tomorrow I'll check with the Tilson Box Company and see if I can purchase a 4 x 4 x 3 foot triple-walled box.  They really make wonderful whelping boxes, and can be recycled when the litter no longer needs the box.  Because they are so sturdy, a rail can even be attached to the sides of the box.

There are so many options for whelping boxes.  You can pay a small fortune for a really nice one, more of a whelping mansion with all sorts of extras which might be a good option if it would get enough use.  But it wouldn't here.  There are also very nice boxes for several hundred dollars, others that are cheaper still, and of course you can always make a whelping box.  I've used many homemade wooden boxes over the years in a variety of sizes, and particularly liked to bottom of a #500 Vari Kennnel - which was borrowed and never returned. Vari Kennel shipping boxes work nicely too.  The crates are shrink wrapped for shipping now so the boxes are not an option, but the box company has a great selection if you is willing to pay for a cardboard box - seems like a weird concept, right?

Many breeders use the kiddie wading pools and then throw them away when the litter is done.  I've never cared for them, as I prefer my whelping box to have an opening that the pups can climb though once they are mobile.  I did break down and use one for Tess's litter - the litter I lost to Canine Herpes, one of the most horrible experiences of my entire life.  I'd have nightmares if I ever used a wading pool again.

There must be squirrels here
Argus & I spent Sunday morning exploring Hidden Falls Park, a place I had not spent much time at in many years.  He had a wonderful time sniffing, splashing, and hunting, while I walked along amazed that such a beautiful place existed so close to my home, in the middle of a major metropolitan area.  We used to take the dogs there to swim in the river - Jocko, Murphy, Sidney, and Eloise particularly enjoyed the water.  Argus certainly enjoyed it, though he still has to stay on leash since the water is so high, the current is so strong, and he is so inexperienced. 

After our walk we went to White Castle for breakfast (Argus appreciated the Breakfast Sandwich but does not care for Hash Rounds), then Argus went home for a bath since he insisted on rolling on a long-dead fish.  A trip to the Farmers Market resulted in pea pods, fresh local broccoli, and wonderful green onions. 

Is this what retirement is like?

Note:  Someone asked about Pauli as I mentioned in a previous posting that she was retired for the time being.  Her co-owner Wendy has some job-related concerns too, so Pauli is home for the summer.  It's quite expensive to have a dog out with a handler and they had a nice run.  Pauli is well-ranked in the Top 10, so she's taking a break.  Wendy plans to train Pauli for road trials, so perhaps they will get started on that this summer.

No comments: