Monday, January 23, 2012

A Most Successful Weekend

Gimme that cheeseburger!

A great weekend, just far too short.  Now it's snowing hard on top of ice - wish this was another holiday Monday!  It's going to be hard to work 5-day weeks after all the short ones.

Argus got to celebrate with a cheeseburger yesterday because his lovely daughters all did so well at the shows.  We started with a long off-leash run in Hidden Falls Park.  Very few people there yesterday, and the only dogs we saw were far down the beach or at the Dog Park across the river.  The Mississippi is trying to freeze over - finally.

We stopped at Burger King on the way home and bought a Whopper Junior With Cheese.  We tried a begging picture but Argus was a little frantic and this is the best shot we got, so we also used it for practicing a Down Stay.  Oh my, the looks he gave me while laying there looking longingly at the burger!  Dog abuse, he said.

Letty also got a nice off lead run in the big field behind St. Thomas.  So far no one has come out to yell at me for running my dog there, so we will continue to enjoy it on Sunday afternoons.  She's been very good off lead and traffic is light, so it's been a lot of fun for both of us.  She's discovered the joy of carrying sticks and actually chased a few, but will never be a natural retriever - what's the point, she says.  I got some excellent free standing shots of her too.   Absolutely love the way she looks, other than the way she carries her tail, but we'll see how it looks after she's been in season.  Still hoping for improvement, but . . .

Although I was disappointed that I could not be there to see it happen, Argus's daugher Nena finished her championship yesterday, handled the whole way by our friend Stephanie.  She and Nena have become an excellent team.  Nena is from the litter in Texas sired by Argus, and I was the one who suggested that Stephanie buy her, so am particularly pleased that they finished with a very nice record including a Specialty major.

Out in Oregon, Argie's daughter Tia finished her Grand Championship in a very few shows and mostly on Specialty weekends.  Her owner Jen had major surgery just two weeks ago, so that made it even more amazing!  Tia is from the repeat of the litter that I lost several years ago, so am particularly pleased to see her do so well.  She's an older sister to Baby Bella who recently finished her Championship from the Puppy Class with  4 majors.

Puppy Weather (Letty's sister) earned her first point on Sunday, and Pauli won two Bests Of Breed and a Group Two.  Altogether an excellent weekend, while WE stayed home.

On the fishy front I spent a lot of time working on my tanks.  Fish club auction next week and I need to have a couple of tanks ready for new fish, if I purchase any.  Hahaha. IF I purchase any.   I was delighted to see new babies in the tank with the Phallythys fairweatheri, handsome unusual wild livebearers.  This is the first time they have spawned, but with 2 males and 6 females, I hope to see more babies in there soon.  We shall see if the parents eat them, or if it's safe to leave the fry in with the adults. 

No comments: