Timing really IS important when planning a litter of pups, and up until now everything has fallen nicely into place with Lucy's litter. Lucy's trips back and forth from Canada to St. Paul for shows & health testing (with big show wins in St. Louis, Lawrence KS, and Fort Mitchell Ky), her family's move from a town without a Veterinarian to a Canadian city with excellent Vets, Lucy's honeymoon trip down to me, then traveling with me to Omaha to get the breeding accomplished, and the trip back up to Canada. Everything fell into place perfectly. She passed all the health testing (some of it done at the Health Clinic at the Dal National, and some of it done in the Twin Cities), finished her championship with a fantastic record, we got the breeding accomplished with the assistance of an AI and a Reproductive Specialist who was leaving on vacation the very next day, and the Vet in TB was available when Lucy ran into whelping difficulties. Luck was with us, every step of the way.
Luck may be taking a break this week and the pups may not get down here for their BAER test appointment on Saturday. The terrible weather in Duluth and along the North Shore of Lake Superior may put everything on hold for a few days or a week. Roads are washed out and the normally 6 hour trip may be impossible on Friday. Two of Lucy's pups were going to new homes this weekend, following their testing, but that may have to wait too. Things WILL fall into place eventually, but Lady Luck may be taking a break.
Our hearts go out to all the people affected by this disastrous flood. The damage is incredible, but fortunately there has (so far) been no loss of life. Although this is an inconvenience for us, it's far more than that for thousands of others.