Monday, September 20, 2010

What A Weekend!


Although I sat home this weekend, I had a great dog show weekend. We had all decided that the judging panel in Rochester looked good for Pauli, so she was entered and I kept checking my cell phone for a text message. Pauli's co-owner Wendy was at the show of course, but Jess & Don were camping. Wendy always keeps Jess posted. About 2:00 I heard from Jess that Pauli had won the Group! Wahoo! Her first group win. I texted Rosie, Pauli's breeder, to advise her of the good news. About an hour later I got a call from Jess who informed me in a cracking, shaking voice that Pauli had gone Best In Show. I thought she was joking at first, but the tone of her voice was way too emotional for a joke. Wahoo! I called Rosie to share the exciting news, then called Ginger to tell her that Argus had a Best In Show winning daughter. In the meantime of course, both Jess and I we were on Facebook, sharing the exciting news. Pauli went on to win the Group again on Sunday to make it a MOST successful weekend.

Penny spent the weekend and it was a long one for both of us as she is extremely bored.  All she wanted to do was get out and chase the squirrels that are terrorizing the neighborhood this year.  They are everywhere, which made walking her almost impossible as all she wanted to do was get a squirrel.  Because Argus is on restricted activity, she was not allowed to wrestle with him, and she hated being out in the dog yard. She's a bit of a whiner too, and I am tired of yelling SHUT UP.  God, how I hate whining.  I never keep whiners - let someone else deal with it.  Most people don't mind, or consider it "talking".  Not me.  I don't like it from either dogs or people. This morning Penny came over the dog yard fence - argh.  Her mother did the same thing when she was here.  Good that Penny is going back to Jess this morning.  I won't be so quick to offer my dogsitting services again.  She is now officially known as Bad Penny - perhaps that will help her show career!

If you're a long time reader, you'll remember that Pauli was a challenging puppy and that she & I were often at odds. She always had a terrific temperament, but I found her personality difficult.  For some reason, I always connect better with Dal boys and find most Dal girls do NOT appeal to me.  Marla, Josie and Gemmie were exceptions though.  I could have easily kept Gemmie who was a doll, but when the right home came along for her I let her go.   My feeling is that the dogs one keeps should always fit your home and your personality.  It's best for all concerned.

Pauli grew up as Bad Pauli, but I always felt she would be a wonderful show dog and could have a fine Specials career, but not shown by me.  Jess finished her with a wonderful record, and Wendy wanted to give her a try in the Specials ring, and was willing to pay a good handler to show her.  Wendy had seen Pauli when Jess showed her at some UKC shows, and although Wendy is a Labrador person, she liked Pauli from the beginning.  This is Pauli's first year out and she's been shown very sparingly as she is still young.  She seems to have justified our faith in her!

1 comment:

Kathleen M. said...

Good to see "Bad Pauli" has redeemed herself! Congratulations on the wins!!