Friday, July 22, 2011

The Personality Of A Dalmatian

Putter with his ears turned inside out

I handled the puppies last night, wondering how they would turn out for both "looks" and "character".  Because we show our dogs "looks" are one of the things we breed for, but "character" is even more important, because most of our dogs end up in homes with families.  Even most show dogs in this breed are family pets as well, and without good character (temperament, attitude, responsiveness, trustworthiness) the most beautiful Dal in the world is of no value to anyone.

Later that evening I received an email from Angie, who owns a dog from Josie's first litter.  Putter is a tall, heavily marked Josie son who lives with a large family of school age kids.  The family visited Josie's litter several times, played with all the pups, and mom chose Putter.   They had lost an older Dalmatian and wanted another, as they enjoyed living with a Dal and a Viszla.  I asked Angie about Putter's personality, and received exactly the kind of information I love to hear.  This is the personality of a Dalmatian, beautifully described by Angie. 

Putter is all energy outside (very controllable,) still gets the "zoomies", sprints around, likes to play tag and fetch the tennis ball until it's too slimey to pick up, but once we're back inside, he's a couch potato.  He chases chipmunks, and has caught a few, eats half and leaves the rest for me to come across. Not many squirrels around for him to chase, but rabbits dart through the yard now and then for a good chase. He's curious about deer, but hasn't gone after them as they run as soon as he makes any motion towards them. His recall is flawless, so I don't worry about him chasing anything as he comes back as soon as I call. He'll "leave it" every time, too.

Not destructive at all (except for stuffed toys,) doesn't beg or drool, doesn't bother the kids when they are at the table eating, but will come running if he hears anything hit the floor. He's quite the velcro dog with me, always wants to know where I am, but not whiny if I'm gone. No separation issues, no problem being kenneled, even if we're home. I often kennel him when friends come over, and then let him out when it has calmed down a bit, and he's been fine meeting people. Putter is a little pushy with strange dogs. He doesn't like to back down when a new dogs gets bossy with him, does better meeting them in neutral territory rather than in our yard. And he has a few doggy friends in the neighborhood he can play with.

Many people ask if he's a pure bred, as either they've never seen a liver Dal, or don't believe it since he's not hyper. I tell them a good dog is a tired dog. I've even been asked if he's a German short-haired pointer.... I guess I can see that, sort of...

Can't believe Putter's 5... had to check in his file for his papers. Ginger is slowing down, starting to lose muscle tone, getting gray all the way over her head, she's ~11 and had a rough start.  It makes me think about what the next dog will be... do I get a Dal or another Vizsla like Ginger???? Male? Female? Both breeds have been so similar in the dogs we've had... The boys are much more affectionate and attentive, girls a bit more aloof, but more watchful... Guess I'll just have to wait and see what's available. And, Putter is not much of a shedder. In the spring, he'll have about a week where I know I need to rub him down for a few days, and maybe a day or two in fall, but over all, he's very neat and clean, never a doggy-smell with him either.

Thanks for your help. Putter is a joy.

Just what I like to hear.  Putter is a combination of good genes, early puppy socialization, and a perfect dog-smart home.  He's been raised to be a dog, never treated as a child, went through obedience classes, and gets plenty of exercise, companionship and love.  The kind of home we wish for all our puppies . . .

It's interesting that he inherited the low-shed gene from Josie, who also sheds very little.  THAT'S a trait I would like to set in Paisley Dalmatians, but it's not likely to happen in my lifetime.  Excuse me, gotta go sweep the kitchen before I go to work!

1 comment:

Monica Callahan said...

Wow, sounds like my dalmatians to a T!!! I love this breed so much. I tell people ALL the time that they are couch potatoes in the house... they never believe me??? Guess all that 'hyper' stuff really gets to them. But boy do they ruuuun when they are outside. (With a very reliable recall of course... or fenced in) I agree, that's a great representation of a dalmatian.