Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back To Work - Soon

Watching ducks at Lake Como

State Government Shut Down comes to an end.  Some time today I will get an email from MNDOT telling me when to report back to work.  Tomorrow?  Have to admit I would not mind waiting until next week, but things will be tight here when the lack of a pay check catches up with me.  Good thing I had no plans for the summer - we knew for several months in advance that the shut down was likely.  I've never had a 3-week vacation, and have sure enjoyed my time off, although I didn't even start several of the projects I had on my list!  That's OK though as I spent some of my time practicing the art of "relaxing", something I've never been very good at.

The snapper who lives in Lake Como
Argus and I took our walk around Lake Como, perhaps the last one on a week day/work day.  We'll both miss it!  It was already 85 when we left at 7:00AM, but today there was a breeze, which made such a difference.  We found a second spot for Argus to swim, so he enjoyed two dips, and we sat on the floating dock at the Como Pavilion, enjoying the breeze, watching the ducks, and being watched by the huge snapping turtle who lives in the lake.  The shortage of ducklings on that part of the lake may be due to his presence.  We met him on the shore last week where I took this picture, and he's a big sucker!

Thanks for the suggestions for naming themes.  Authors, weather and fish are all good ones.  Am thinking I will name the pups after characters in John Sandford mysteries.  The boys can be "Lucas" (Davenport), "Virgil" (Flowers) and "Jake" (Winters).  Not sure on the girls yet, but perhaps "Letty" (Lucas's adopted daughter) and maybe "Sandy" who is a Researcher who works for Lucas, but that's still up in the air.  Lucas's wife's name is "Wether" which sounds more like a sheep than a puppy, so that's out. 

Too early for names yet anyway.  I need to know that the pups hear before they get names, and I'll start checking this weekend.  Should wait until this weekend, but it's hard to wait.  Pups can hear as early at 11-12 days, but most will not hear until 13-14 days - IF they are going to hear at all.  Once I know their status, I'll give them names.  Please keep your fingers (and paws) crossed. 

1 comment:

Helen said...

It's sweltering here in Montreal, too. Can't wait for winter. I'm wondering if Argus took to the water naturally. My Dallyboy, 'Nado, just doesn't want to hear about swimming. It's a shame as we have access to a huge freshwater lake. So far he'll wade in to retrieve a ball, but as soon as he can't touch bottom, he's outta there and phooey on the ball. Any suggestions?

Fingers, paws and occasionally eyes crossed for hearing pups.