Saturday, April 6, 2013

Why Buy From A Breeder?


Elissa Kaminer O'Sullivan said it perfectly in a recent Facebook posting . . .

  • So, I slept on it... and I still feel the same way... so here it goes...

    I have been helping a friend find a puppy. She wants a specific breed, for a specific purpose, with a specific temperament. I have found her several responsible breeders who I think would have puppies that would fit all of her criteria. Then she says to me, "I just want you to know that I am not spending $1,000 on a dog. Not when so many need homes." And you know, if that was the end of what she said, and she wanted help finding a rescue dog, I would have been all about helping her. But she is still not opposed to buying a puppy... just not one for $1000. So, at first, it didn't really register what she said, but as I thought about it, I became more and more offended. Because basically what she said to me was that as a responsible breeder, my dogs are not worth any more than Joe-shmoe's down the block... that all the time, effort, and money that I have put into health testing, temperament testing, training, proving, and selecting my dogs for breeding has no value. I have to say, this really got under my skin. Maybe it's because I have driven my girls as far as CA to breed to the most perfect stud dog that I could find... or that I just spent over $2000 on progesterone tests, and I still don't have a litter to show for it... or maybe it's because I have proven my dog's over and over again, and it just plain pissed me off that someone doesn't see the value in that.

    So, what do you get for a $1000 puppy? Proven temperament and trainability... mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and great grand parents for many generations are trained and temperament tested- and they have been to a million dog shows, earning titles to prove it all. Proven health... mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and great grand parents for many generations have had their hips, elbows, knees, eyes, heart, & thyroid tested, they are clear of all genetic disease that I can possibly know of. They are to breed standard... which may not mean a lot to you, but it should. It's what keeps a Rottweiler from looking like a Black and Tan Coonhound, or a Bernese Mountain dog. It's what maintains structure and soundness, and what makes a breed a breed. You also get me. You get a knowledgeable breeder and expert in your breed. You can call me day or night, and even on holidays. I am there for you through all your joys and frustrations, sickness and health. I will do anything I need to do to make sure that owning one of my puppies is the most wonderful experience of your life. You have the peace of mind knowing that no matter what ever happens to you, your dog, your best friend, has a safe place to live out the rest of his life.

    So what about that $400 puppy out of the paper? You get a puppy with unknown temperament, health, and type. You get nothing else. You can potentially get a dog genetically predisposed to fears and aggression, a dog with debilitating health issues, a dog who will never be able to fulfill the goals that you have set out for him. And if you ever needed to return that dog (life can sometimes throw you a curve ball), that person will not take your 5 or 8 or 10 year old dog back... you will be stuck putting your dog up for adoption, or euthanizing him.

    So, who's making money? I have never actually figured it out, but I would guess that I lose about $1,000/puppy. I don't breed dogs to make money. I breed dogs because I love my breed and I believe that there are wonderful people out there who should have the opportunity to own wonderful dogs. The person selling the $400 puppy is making a profit of about $350/puppy. That person breeds purely for profit. Oh, I am sure they love their dogs, and their breed, but not enough to be any benefit to anyone other than themselves.

    I guess people don't really understand value. It is not about the price you pay, but what you are getting for that price. And in the end, if what you are getting for $1000 is not worth anything to you, then by all means, the $400 puppy is a much better value.

    I have not told anyone who I am talking about. She is my friend, and I would like to keep it that way, so please do not guess or spread rumors. And please feel free to share if you agree.

1 comment:

Lori Aydt said...

Sue Hi I have one of your pups from eleven yrs ago and she is the best dog, from the moment I got her to now she is so even tempered and loveable. Unlike the first one I had that was a rescue dog, that was only bred for the breed because the dalmatians movies were big then. So I definitly agree with breeding for temper, health, calmness ect. I know because I have had both! My Lexi came from the litter that she was the only girl and you named her butternut, her brothers were Max, Yuban, sorry I don't remember the other two. She had the solid black ear so she was bred for me as my family companion instead of show quality. Some day I will be looking for another companion, since Lexi is still happy and health. Thanks for letting me be her Mom Lori Aydt