Monday, March 29, 2010

If In Doubt, Read Instructions


I'd been having problems with my little Nikon CoolPix camera and could not get the flash to come back on. I remembered how to turn it off and on, one of the few things I had taken the time to learn, but that was no longer working. The problem started when I decided to take a video of Argus on the treadmill, which I eventually did, but then I could not get the camera out of the video mode and spent hours fussing with it, changing this and that without a clue as to what I was doing. FINALLY, I broke down and spent a couple of hours studying the manual, something I have never done before even though I've owned the camera for a year.

Wow, it does so many cool things like taking pictures in sepia (see above). Could be interesting to do a group of liver Dals in sepia. And a sports mode of continuous shots, one per second. I was jealous that a friend's camera did that. Never occurred to me that mine did too. So many interesting things to try! Reading the manual, what a concept!

A reader asks, "What exactly does it mean when someone says a dog has good bone or a lot of bone? Don't quite understand the meaning."

The AKC standard says that the Dalmatian's legs are "straight, stong and sturdy in bone". Not really a very good description, but it means that the Dalmatian is not fine-boned. He does not have skinny legs! Some breeds are heavy in bone, like the Rottweiler, with big thick legs, while others are light in bone like Italian Greyhounds and Miniature Pinchers, with thin delicate legs. Dalmatians are actually moderate in bone, but it's rather common for Dals to not have quite enough bone for their size. By saying that a dog has good bone or heavy bone, we normally mean that he has plenty of bone - neither big thick legs like treat trunks, nor skinny little legs like toothpicks. To complicate the matter, some standards call for oval bone, while others call for round bone (which is usually heavier bone for the size of the dog). Hope that helps!

2 comments:

Stephanie Zambrano said...

I had to read the manual for mine too! I chose to do it on an inter-continental flight so that I could use all of the cool features when I got there! I still have to revisit it now and again. Enjoy all the cool stuff! I also like my video mode and the close up mode took some really awesome flower/garden shots!

Jennifer Mathews said...

Like the Sepia..........just curious, is this your area for the dogs? When you leave the house, do they stay in this room or do they stay in a crate? They look very contented and happy.
On another note, I am fostering a dal. I have had her almost 2 weeks now. I have discovered she is a little incontinent, so went to vet to have her checked out and he gave her PPA (long word, can't spell), she gets half a pill a day....also she is itching a lot. She doesn't have fleas or anything like that. I am feeding raw patties, and adding veggies. I have been adding a fish oil tab daily and some Platinum Performance Plus for joints, etc. Could this all be too rich? Thought I was feeding her well. Someone mentioned that dogs can have an allergic reaction to chicken, well, that is about all she has had in some form or the other. (merrick canned sometimes). I was just wondering your opinion. I know she is not a well bred dal, but thought you could help. My dal doesn't react like this at all and this dog is not nervous or anything like that. I forgot to say she is 8. The vet said to give her Benedryl for the itching and the PPA for the incontinence. He said the pills could help her leaking to cease maybe for good but keep her bladder emptied. Thanks if you can help, if not, I understand. It is hard to diagnose over the internet....thanks, Jen from Chattanooga.