Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Another Good Bye


An email from John to tell us that Brie had passed at the age of 16 1/2. Brie was one of our favorite dogs, so like her Aunt Marla, with an incredibly disposition & personality. She was a daughter of my handsome liver Ch. "Morris" and out of Carol Chase's wonderful Ch. "Paris" - Paris was one of my all-time favorite Dals, and one that I would gladly have stolen and kept! Brie finished with a fine show record, produced a nice litter of pups, but mostly lived the life of a beloved pet & companion with John and his family.

He writes, "I wanted to let you know we had Brie put to sleep today. I don’t know how you go through this so many times with so many dogs. Perhaps that is the trick. So hard to let go, she was such a major part of our family. Brie made it to an amazing 16 ½ years of age. What an amazing and absolutely beautiful dog and companion she was. Thank you again so much for entrusting and blessing us with Brie 16 ½ years ago. Throughout her entire life everyone was so complimentary on her demeanor and what a great dog she is. She really made our home and family better. We will miss our Brie – Brie tremendously, but will always be grateful we had her bless our lives for so long.

Thanks again, take care."


It never gets easier and I still miss Rob, Eloise, Marla, Morris, Sidney and all of Brie's close relatives who passed before her, and I shed tears over the passing of every wonderful dog who did not actually share my home for more than the first few months of their lives. I've received many calls and emails over the years to tell me of the passing of special dogs, and I appreciate knowing how much those dogs were loved, and what important family members they were.

It DOES help to have multiple dogs though. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be to lose your only Dal, or your only dog of any breed. Yes, I CAN imagine that. I remember when I lost Criket my first Dal, and lost her to veterinary negligence. The pain was incredible. Not a day passes that I don't still miss Rob, but take comfort in how fortunate I was to have had him for 12 years. John and his family were even more fortunate to have had Brie for so long.

Thank you John!

No comments: