Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Someone Needs Therapy, But It Might Be Me


Sitting on my fitness ball, working at the computer.  We'll see if doing this really helps with nagging lower back pain.  It's actually pretty fun.  Because a fitness ball has been suggested for Argus on several occasions, I decided to take the plunge and try one myself.  We've already been told that we can not use them at work, which actually would have been a hoot!  The suckers take forever to inflate with their dumpy little hand pumps, but seem to be worth the effort.  Need to do everything I can to stay healthy and keep my spirits up as we've approaching the time of the year when I have to battle the gloom.  As long as I stay on top of it, I'll be fine, but a few years ago when things were so awful at work I ended up on medication for a short period of time.  Must be related to the shorter days and the fact that fall is so often cloudy in this part of the country.  Too early to know if it helps, but had someone tell me that by replacing her home desk chair with a fitness ball, she got rid of nagging neck pain.  Hope it works for me as well!

Because a judge friend AND the Sports Med Vet both suggested a fitness ball for Argus, he's learning the basics with mine and seems to enjoy it.  Puts his feet up and will rest on his chest while eating high value treats.  Last night he really wanted to sit on it, but we'll wait for that until his peanut ball comes - that will be long enough for him to stand on.   The theory behind this is improving core strength, the muscles in his body that are hard to exercise otherwise.  I downloaded a great video on ball work from the Clean Run website - this is really popular for Agility dogs.  If nothing else we will have fun with it, as Argus seems to be a willing participant.

Only time will tell if this gets Argus back in show shape.  I still wonder if there is a piece missing from the diagnosis puzzle.  I could see and feel the arthritis in his stifle, but am not convinced that is the only thing responsible for what he is doing with his topline when he moves, and why does he still sometimes pick up the other foot when he is standing?  I got the picture back from the Amanas and can see these issues in the stacked shot too.  Something is "off" with him.  The x-ray of his back looked great, but of course that is only the bones.  What about the muscles and such?  Ball work sounds logical, and improving core strength might be the key, but I hate to think that I might be missing something here. Guess my problem is (and has always been) impatience!   We are both going to miss the dog shows this fall, but I won't show him again until he is 100%.

No comments: