Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Curly

Ah, the smell of a new perm.  Nothing quite like it.  Thank goodness!  I remember getting home perms as a child.  Rods so tight they made my eyes bug out, nasty stinging perm solution that ran down my forehead and into my eyes that  couldn't close, and the resulting mass of kinky gummy curls that no one could even get a comb through.  The smell that lingered for days. . .

Having been born with super fine, amazingly straight, and overly defiant hair, and not very much of it, I've had more than my share of perms over the years.  Unfortunately, I inherited my mother's hair, what I refer to as "crappy hair".  Thin, fine & difficult.  I remember HER mother having the same hair, although being confined in those little pin curls every night, it's understandable that her hair was in rebellion.  Mom's father had very little of the stuff, so it's hard to say what his was like.

Dad's family had wonderful hair, thick, wavy, but the kind that grays early.  Dad wore crew cuts for many years and hated it when his hair got long enough to even touch his ears.  Although the pictures in my album show him as a teen with wonderful wavy hair, sometime in his early working life he decide to make a change to ultra short.  Later in life he grew it out again, and until his death he took pride in his thick, wavy beautiful gray hair - just like his parents who passed on the good hair genes.

So dad got two doses of "good hair genes", but how did my daughter Jess inherit Grandpa's hair?  Her father has a minimal amount of hair (although his brother once had a fabulous mane of thick red hair, so there was some good hair in the family).  Jess ended up with hair so thick that it needs to be "thinned" when it is cut.  Outrageous!  Not fair!

And now my computer has been highjacked by Trend Antivirus and it won't let me do anything else with this blog.  Who owns the damned computer anyway?   I sometimes wonder if it's controlled by aliens.

No comments: