Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Show's Over!

My Roomies, Fern and Max

Back to the old grind . . .

The long-anticipated specialty weekend is over, the last one of the year.  I may do a few smaller shows, but there are no more fun show weekends with big Dal entries and lots of Dal friends, to look forward to this year.  Gone are the days of showing several weekends a month, campaigning a Special.  Now we just show under judges we like, where we know there will be enough other Dals to make the trip worthwhile. With entries so low in the breed, most shows aren't worth attending with class dogs.

Although Jess was unable to travel with me due to problems at work, my traveling buddies Max and Fern were good company and roomies.  Their manners were exceptionally good, especially for two high-spirited Teen-Dals.  Fortunately the weather was lovely and we had the opportunity to do lots of walking which helps a lot.

We had such a good time, and I was particularly proud of Max who took the points all three days and finished the weekend with 10 points and both majors towards his AKC championship (15 points required).  He'll probably sit out this winter, as I'd prefer to get the rest of his points at larger shows, rather than one at a time.

Fernly also did well and showed nicely with the exception of being too happy, but that's my Fern!  She won a Bred By Exhibitor class of 5 the first two days, and went 2nd and Reserve WB the third day. The quality in girls was really good, so I was pleased with that. If she didn't get so excited on the go-around and break gait, she's probably have done even better.  Fern gets to do a few small show for the extra training, so she can catch up with Max.  Both dogs have both majors, which is the tough part, and I'll wait to finish their championships next year.

Down in Texas Max's brother Bert and sister Mellie also did well, with Bert picking up his first points (his first show weekend) and Mellie picking up her first major handled by her co-breeder Jana.  There are five pups in show homes from this litter, and hopefully all will finish their championships.  Last year at this time I was anticipating the Argus/Holly babies, a litter that turned out to be one of the nicest, and certainly the most fun litters I've ever raised.

I had some other pictures from the weekend I wanted to include in this post, but am having trouble with Blogger formatting.  I really need to spend some time with it and see why I am having trouble placing the pictures where I want them.

No comments: