Monday, August 18, 2014

One Week To Go

 
"Please feed me", says poor Fern.  She's ravenous right now.  Hasn't taken to stealing from people, but she'd certainly steal from the other dogs if given a chance.  Fortunately the dogs eat in their crates, so the slowest eater Argus can finish his dinner in peace.  She just stands and stares at his bowl.  Although Fern gets twice as much as any of the other dogs, she finishes her meal first.  She's normally a bit fussy and takes her time to eat - 3 minutes, instead of the 30 seconds that is typical of this pack of chowhounds.  Now she starts eating and the bowl is instantly empty.  Amazing!
 
Fern follows me around and sits in front when I stop so she can make eye contact and send me thought waves.  "Feed me, feed me".  If she catches my attention she may fling herself on her back for a belly rub.  I always take a bit of extra time to feel the puppies kicking.  Never get over the excitement of feeling the pups kick for the first time.
 
Fern standing at a crate, waiting to check it for crumbs.
Fern is still getting her evening walk, but because it was so warm and humid yesterday evening, we cut it short.  She's been lagging back on her walks recently, except of course when she sees a rabbit - then she's all business!
 
My weekend was spent redoing the basement.  My hundred year old house is not really optimal for a litter of pups, as there's no extra room on the main floor, and it's too wild and crazy anyway.  The basement is NOT totally finished, although it is divided into rooms and the front room is normally used for pups.  Up until recently it also contained seven fish tanks, but now contains only one that actually has fish.  I sold/gave away a number of aquariums last week as I am trying to cut back on my fish addiction.  Removing the tanks, including a 55 gallon, gave me the chance to replace the floor tiles and rearrange the other items.  Tonight I will just finish putting things away, and get the whelping box set up so Fern gets used to it.
 
I need to touch base with the people on my list too, to see who is still interested.  Several of them are keeping in touch, and I know they are interested.  It's not a good idea to promise too many puppies at least until after they are born, and we know on color and sex.  Later of course there's the issue of which (if any) will go to show homes, and which will be companions or performance dogs.  Hearing is also a big issue that affects puppy placements, as are the individual temperaments and personalities.   Busy times ahead!

No comments: