Monday, October 4, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes?


Not something I have ever eaten, or wanted to eat, but I think Fried Green Tomatoes may be on our menu this week!  This pile is just part of the green tomatoes that are sitting on a table in the basement.  Some will ripen and be frozen for chili or hot dish this winter, but some will have to be eaten green (if at all).

Ron took down the volunteer tomatoes in the dog yard so the dogs are pleased to have their yard back.  Josie and Watson could not be left out unsupervised as they enjoyed hunting mice (or chipmunks) in the tomato patch.  Argus & Coral were more inclined to respect the fence I put up around the plants.

Fried Green Tomatoes don't sound very healthy, but they are said to be tasty.  I found some recipes on the Internet so may have to give them a try.  Bet they'd go well as a side with Chili.

Such a nice weekend!  Ron & I went antiquing and had a blast.  Before I started campaigning Argus we did a lot of antique shows and shops.  Guess we'll be able to do more of them again next year.   We don't buy a lot but love looking at "pieces of history" and particularly enjoy chatting with dealers who know their stock and have a passion for it, especially for old household gadgets.  We actually purchased a lamp this time, a charming brass lamp by the Rembrandt Company.  It will work perfectly in the corner on the "fish table" where I display fish collectibles - no I do not buy them, but get them as gifts and some are pretty cool. 

I love the old 50s Formica and chrome dinettes.  Wish I'd had a place (and the money) for this table!  It was in amazingly good condition and the chairs were lovely.  These tables take me back to my childhood, and the story of how I took one of my figure skates and used the front of it to punch small holes in one of the brand new plastic chairs.  Guess the Devil made me do it!  The family that owned this table must have had better behaved children - or none at all!

On a different note, it is amazing how much better a Dalmatian can do in the show ring once its nose & tail are "fixed".   What a shame.  Think we can blame the handler in most cases.  These things happen in other breeds, but it REALLY bothers me when it happens in MY breed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
Silly question for you. I was reading an earlier post about eye color and it brought a question to mind. Are green eyes acceptable in Dals? I have a liver pup and her eyes were bright blue two weeks ago when I brought her home but it appears as though they are now taking on a greenish tint. The standard says brown or blue eyes so if they turn green, will she be disqualified from showing?
Thanks so much!