Thursday, July 7, 2011

Losing Track Of The Days


The Monarda are hardy & colorful
State Government Shut Down - what day is it now?
I'm really into this, my Practice Retirement.  I obviously need to win the lottery so that I can afford to retire sooner rather than later, but of course lottery tickets are not currently available in Minnesota due to the shut down.  The newspapers and radio talk shows are starting to stress how much the shut down is costing the state, but the Republicans are still not willing to discuss a compromise.  Sigh . . .

Waiting patiently
Laurie arrived from Virginia, along with her trusty sidekick Nikon, Penny's mother.  We have lots of plans for the next few days, including a trip to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum today.  Argus will be disappointed to be left behind, but I promised we would take him and Nikon for a hike along the river tomorrow morning, assuming the mosquitoes don't eat us alive.  They are starting to show up in my yard, and I noticed (and removed) mosquito wigglers in my daphnia pond yesterday.

Picked up Reebok's whelping box, a triple-walled cardboard carton just the right size.  It will make a perfect whelping box and can be recycled when we're done with it.  One less thing to have to store.  When we return from our field trip today, I have to finish cleaning the front side of the basement and set things up for Reebok.  Just a few more days to go, and she needs to be comfortably settled into her box by this weekend.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm picking out new furniture for the family room.  The old loveseat is pretty battered and needs replacing, but the piece that really needs to go is a large radio/phonograph combination that was in my parent's house when I was a teenager!  The radio still works just fine and it's been tuned to WCCO radio for over 25 years.  I vowed that I would keep it as long as the radio worked, but the piece is pretty battered, very out-dated and obviously the radio will work forever.  It's a heavy thing too, but with Laurie here we have some additional help. Time for a change!

1 comment:

Helen said...

You've got to admit it, your Practice Retirement is timed perfectly for the arrival of the puppies. It's a great life, isn't it, not having to go to work? There are people who say they dread retirement, but I just can't understand them.