Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Two At A Time



Max is so very glad to have his "sister" Fern back, and I KNOW the adult dogs are glad she's back too.  Max & Fern spend many hours a day playing, and while she was in season and separated from the "pack", Max just about drove the adults (especially his dad Argus) crazy.  "Play with me! Please, someone play with me!"  Now that Fern is back he has a ready made playmate, although even she gets tired of his antics at times.

I wasn't sure if I could manage two Dal Kids less than six months apart in age, but it's working OK.  Because the other dogs range in age from seven to almost thirteen, it was time to add a couple of permanent members to the household.  I can't even imagine what it would be like to be dogless!  And I love watching the interaction between dogs.  I call it My Family Pack, and they are endlessly entertaining.

The main problem with raising two pups is the tendency to let them entertain one another, rather than putting the appropriate amount of work into each pup as an individual.  I've tried very hard not to do that, and both pups get individual time and attention and TRAINING every single day.  It may be just a walk, or a five minute training session in the basement, but each pup gets to be the special pup for awhile each day, and each pup spends some crate time every day while the other pup gets to be out with the adults.  Each attended a puppy class too, which was so helpful.

It seems to be working well so far, and although it takes a lot of effort on my part and patience on Ron's part, both pups are turning out to be good family members.   Their personalities are so very different, but each is a really nice dog and a good addition to my household.  Hopefully both will be successful show dogs too, but as companions they are already stars, and we live with our dogs far more than we show them.  

No comments: