Thursday, June 23, 2011

Turning The Page

Josie and Argus

And still it rains.  Am so glad I have smooth-coated dogs and that I have a rock-and-block dog yard so they can be outdoors for awhile without tracking in mud or tearing up the yard.  None of them are bothered by rain, so as long as it's not raining too hard we just go about our business.  Am not sure how people survive where this weather is common nine months of the year.  I NEED SUN!  And pretty soon I'll be complaining about too much of that, along with heat and humidity.

In addition to the two responses to yesterday's blog I got three emails from other Dal friends, all older, all forced to cut back on their dog show activities because of age, finances or both. They could identify with my situations and my sadness. I'm fortunate that I am still able to show, that I have good hips and knees, and no age-related health issues.  I hope to be back in the ring eventually when I have a youngster to show, and Argus may get out for specialties from time to time, but I'll never be able to campaign a dog again.  It's just too expensive and too time consuming.  And so much work . . .

The nice thing about dog shows is that you can do it at many levels.  Once a year if that's your choice, or every weekend if you have the time, money and drive. While many people (like my daughter Jess) prefer to show in the classes, I love showing a Special.  The lows are so low, but the highs make up for it, and nothing really compares to going Best Of Breed over a large entry of quality Dals, showing in a Non-Sporting Group full of top specials in a variety of breeds, and winning the Group.  Best In Shows are more exciting at the time, but they are so often a case of being in the right spot at the right time.  For owner-handled dogs, there is a lot of luck involved in going Best In Show.  To consistently win Non-Sporting Groups is the thing that gets my juices flowing.  I'll miss that most of all.

Next goal is a really fine puppy to show & finish from the Bred By Exhibitor Class.  I've done that before, but not for quite awhile since we've had so few pups, and because I've concentrated on Specials while Jess does the class dogs.  My turn now.  Perhaps Reebok or Penny will do the right pup for me, or maybe Pauli will do that next year.  Because I will be involved in Lucy's eventual litter and have selected the dog she will be bred to, I'll ask to be signed on to her so I will be a co-breeder of her pups as well.  A breeder is always looking forward to that next litter!

Can't wait for puppies!

No comments: