Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Unpacking My Life


For the past three years, ever since my return from judging in Australia, my small purple suitcase has been laying on the chest under the window in my bedroom.  It got temporarily replaced by the larger purple suitcase once a year for DCA, and this year for Westminster as well, but normally it sits on the chest, waiting for me to finish packing for a dog show weekend.  Because it was often used two or three times a month, there seemed little point in putting it away.  Some things were always packed and ready, including a blow dryer, curling brush, some over the counter meds, a few cosmetics, panty hose, a few "coffee bags" (like tea bags), and a small flask of rum.  I'd just add whatever I needed for the weekend, and I'd be ready for another dog show.  The suitcase was like a piece of furniture, always sitting in that spot.

While cleaning house last weekend, I suddenly "noticed" the suitcase, still sitting there, still waiting.  For what?  When would I be using it again?  When could I reasonably expect to travel again?  Maybe this fall?  Maybe not.  So I unpacked the bag, put everything away, and sadly stowed my trusty purple suitcase in the extra bedroom, and then wiped away a few tears.  That chapter of my life is over.   Onward.

Several pictures to use today but my computer seems to have been hijacked again.  The CPU is running hard and I can't get the pictures uploaded to the blog.  It's not the virus software or the spyware software, although it sure sounds as if it is updating something.  Must be the aliens.  Well, maybe I can add the pictures tomorrow.   Sure wish I understood what went on behind the scenes in my computer!

Things are dreadful at work and we are no where near ready to go live with the new accounting system.  And yesterday the old one was not working either, or at least MY appropriation wasn't working.  Millions of dollars that I could not access - all payments from that approp received the error message of "invalid budget fiscal year".  Obviously "someone" made some kind of change over the weekend, but no on is available to help me figure this out.  All personnel are working on the new system, rather than supporting the old one.  NOT a good deal for me, with tons of work to get done by next Thursday when we turn out the lights because no budget is in place for us to work in the new fiscal year . . .  Ah, such fun!

1 comment:

Helen said...

But isn't it wonderful to have Dal wags and kisses to come home to!